Working pro bono to tackle the climate crisis
One of the most impactful ways a lawyer can use their skills and experience to combat the climate crisis is through pro bono work. The Centre has developed and collated the following resources to help lawyers feel equipped to address one of the foremost challenges of our time:
- The Global Pro Bono Climate Action Portal– an online portal developed in collaboration with global NGO PILnet, which features a wide range of case studies from around the world that illustrate the variety of ways lawyers are using their expertise pro bono to tackle the climate crisis.
- The Pro Bono Guide to the Climate Crisis– a practical resource that describes 15 different ways that lawyers can dedicate their expertise, experience and resources to address the climate crisis.
- A list of Australian civil society organisations currently tackling climate change.
- A compilation of other helpful resources.
Global Pro Bono Climate Action Portal
The Centre has developed a Global Pro Bono Climate Action Portal in collaboration with global NGO PILnet. The Portal features a wide range of case studies from around the world that illustrate the variety of ways lawyers are using their expertise pro bono to tackle the climate crisis. We’re hoping it will inspire and inform the global legal profession.
View the Portal here.
Pro Bono Guide to the Climate Crisis
“This informative and inspiring publication describes the many ways that lawyers and the legal profession can dedicate their extensive expertise, experience and resources to tackling the climate crisis… Ultimately, climate change is not just about science or technology. It’s about justice. The legal profession has a moral obligation to stand up and join the movement for a cleaner, greener, healthier future.”
Dr. David R. Boyd
United Nations Special Rapporteur on human rights and the environment
What does the Guide include?
The Guide aims to inform and inspire lawyers across the globe. It includes:
- descriptions of 15 different ways that lawyers can get involved in pro bono work to help combat the climate crisis
- a range of compelling case studies from around the world, and
- advice on how to get started.
Translation into Persian
List of Australian civil society organisations
Below are a list of civil society organisations that are working to fight climate change in a variety of ways. Some of them may welcome pro bono support from lawyers. Please contact these organisations directly to ask if you can assist.
This list is not exhaustive and will evolve over time. Please contact us if you think we should add another organisation to the list.
This list is provided for information purposes only and should not be considered an implied Centre endorsement of any particular organisation on the list.
More information on sourcing pro bono opportunities is here.