Head of Policy & Strategy
28 May 2019
Applications for this position have now closed.
The Australian Pro Bono Centre is seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated lawyer with strong management skills to be its Head of Policy and Strategy. This position would suit an experienced lawyer with policy development skills and a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
About the Centre
The Australian Pro Bono Centre is an independent centre of expertise funded by the Australian Government to promote and support the provision of pro bono legal services. Pro bono legal services are focused on increasing access to justice for socially disadvantaged and marginalised people, and furthering the public interest. For more information about the work of the Centre, see probonocentre.org.au.
The Centre works with a wide range of stakeholders in the Australian legal profession. It is based in the Law Building at the University of New South Wales in Kensington.
The Head of Policy and Strategy will work closely with the Centre’s Chief Executive Officer to help develop and implement the Centre’s strategy and policies and manage the conduct of major projects and initiatives.
Salary: $100,000 p.a. full-time (plus superannuation).
This is a full-time position. The Centre also welcomes candidates who would prefer to work part-time (4 or 4.5 days per week).
Tasks will include:
- undertaking research and policy work on issues affecting the provision of pro bono legal services;
- preparing written reports, key correspondence, newsletter articles, discussion papers, guides and other documents;
- playing a key part in the development and implementation of the Centre’s Strategic Plan and Annual Work Plan;
- performing analysis of data on pro bono legal work and unmet legal need;
- developing and maintaining up-to-date knowledge of the policy context (and a network of contacts) regarding the delivery of pro bono legal services by the Australian legal profession;
- conducting advocacy on behalf of the Centre including meetings with, and presentations to, external stakeholders;
- contributing to the Centre’s supervision of interns and volunteers working at the Centre; and
- assisting with governance, reporting and evaluation requirements.
The successful candidate will have:
- a law degree and experience working in the legal profession (practising certificate not necessary);
- a strong knowledge and understanding of pro bono practice in the Australian legal profession;
- demonstrated excellent legal and analytical skills;
- demonstrated policy development and/or research experience;
- excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- a commitment to social justice and access to justice (experience working or volunteering in the legal assistance sector or with a law firm pro bono program is desirable);
- strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a small team; and
- proficiency in the use of technology, including the suite of Microsoft Office software, websites, information management, electronic research and social media.
Applications should include a curriculum vitae, a cover letter addressing the selection criteria, and the names and contact details of two referees.
Submit applications by email to email@example.com addressed to the Chief Executive Officer by close of business on Friday, 21 June 2019.
Please contact the Centre’s Chief Executive Officer, Gabriela Christian-Hare, on 02 9385 7381 if you require further information.