These precedents have been developed to reflect best practice in pro bono. Use the precedents that best reflect the firm’s size, structure, systems, organisational culture and policies. Precedents should also be adapted as necessary to comply with the firm’s house style and terminology.
The Centre welcomes feedback on the usefulness and ease of use of these precedents, especially from firms in the early stages of developing a formal pro bono program.
If you’re having trouble downloading the below documents, please try using a different browser. If the problem persists, we would be grateful if you contact the Centre at email@example.com.
These precedents were reviewed in 2022 by the Australian Pro Bono Centre with the generous assistance of various firms, as acknowledged at the beginning of each precedent document. The Centre acknowledges and is grateful for the generous contributions of all those who assisted with the 2022 refresh of the Australian Pro Bono Manual.
APPENDIX 1: PRECEDENTS
- Pro Bono Policy
- Pro Bono Policy [Word Doc, 69KB]
- Letters of engagement
- Secondment agreements
- Memorandum of understanding
- Memorandum of Understanding – Fixed Term Relationship [Word Doc, 80 KB]
- Memorandum of Understanding – Clinic Project [Word Doc, 79 KB]
- Evaluation templates
APPENDIX 2: AUSTRALIAN PRO BONO BEST PRACTICE GUIDE
- What is best practice in pro bono? [PDF, 437 KB]
- What is best practice in pro bono? (abbreviated version) [PDF, 301 KB]